[pdftex] floatingfigure and pdflatex
Arto Viitanen
2003-06-01 22:13:46 UTC
How does one use the floatingfigure environment (page
150 on The LaTeX Companion) in pdflatex? When I tried
pdfximage with it, either the picture vanished or
I got some wierd error messages. I tried it with JPEG
-picture, so that might be the problem.
--
Arto V. Viitanen ***@cs.uta.fi
University of Tampere, Department of Computer and Information Sciences
Tampere, Finland http://www.cs.uta.fi/~av/
Heiko Oberdiek
2003-06-01 22:13:46 UTC
Post by Arto Viitanen
How does one use the floatingfigure environment (page
150 on The LaTeX Companion) in pdflatex? When I tried
pdfximage with it
Not a good idea to use \pdfximage directly, if you
are using LaTeX, the graphics package hides the
internals and works with different pdfTeX versions,
that implement different internal commands.

Yours sincerely
Heiko <***@ruf.uni-freiburg.de>
Arto Viitanen
2003-06-01 22:13:46 UTC
Post by Heiko Oberdiek
Post by Arto Viitanen
How does one use the floatingfigure environment (page
150 on The LaTeX Companion) in pdflatex? When I tried
pdfximage with it
Not a good idea to use \pdfximage directly, if you
are using LaTeX, the graphics package hides the
internals and works with different pdfTeX versions,
that implement different internal commands.
That is nice to know, but it does not solve my problem:
the included (either using includegraphics on graphicx
package or direclty using pdftex's primitives) vanishes
when using floatingfigure.
Robin Fairbairns
2003-06-01 22:13:46 UTC
Post by Arto Viitanen
Post by Arto Viitanen
How does one use the floatingfigure environment (page
150 on The LaTeX Companion) in pdflatex? When I tried
pdfximage with it
note that the latex companion is an _old_ book, and documents the
state of things as it was in 1993, before latex 2e was actually
released (aiui, the authors used a pre-release of latex 2e to develop
the book).
Post by Arto Viitanen
the included (either using includegraphics on graphicx
package or direclty using pdftex's primitives) vanishes
when using floatingfigure.
in particular, floatfig (which is what the companion talks about) has
long since been superseded by the package floatflt. are you in fact
using floatfig? -- if so, it may be worth updating.

i've (just) moved floatfig to the obsolete/ tree on ctan. ctan file
info/companion.ctan has long pointed you at floatflt as a replacement
for floatfig
Arto Viitanen
2003-06-01 22:13:47 UTC
Post by Robin Fairbairns
i've (just) moved floatfig to the obsolete/ tree on ctan. ctan file
info/companion.ctan has long pointed you at floatflt as a replacement
for floatfig
Yes, I am using the floatflt that comes with the teTeX.
Still, I cannot get the JPEG picture to show, either
with the graphicx package or directly using pdfximage.